It’s apple season in Georgia! September is the perfect time to make a day trip to one of north Georgia’s orchards to buy a bag or a bushel or pick your own, or to find Georgia grown varieties of apples at your local farm stand and grocery store. Here’s a recipe that’s perfect to serve at tailgates, potlucks and at home this month.
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups chopped cooking apple
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 325º
2. Grease a 9″ x 9″ baking pan
3. In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and egg until fluffy.
4. Fold in apples and pecans.
5. In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine dry ingredients.
6. Stir dry mixture into the wet mixture until just blended.
7. Evenly spread batter in prepared pan.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. If the edges start to brown cover with foil.
— Recipe courtesy of Georgia Farm Monitor